Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The wrong kind of new construction...

Just came across another home going up - this one in Montemalaga, PVE.  The home is perched on a expansive view lot, complete with tennis court, and replaces an older faux Mediterranean home.  The Irie Residence.

The Irie family purchased the original home, which was not a modest home like other tear downs, in early 2010 for $3.5M.  In fact, the original home (pictured below), was a 7,696 square foot, 7 bedroom, 8 bathroom home built in 1985.    Judging from the MLS listing description and photos, the home was in very good condition - not at all a tear down or "in need of TLC."

(Source: Google Maps)

 (Source: Google Maps)

(Source: MLS)


As you can see, the home site is quite large - 0.7 acres actually, and is purchased on a hill with some phenomenal views.

 (Source: MLS)
(Source: MLS)

Well, shortly after the family purchased the home, they hired Ashai Design to design a new Italian residence.   When I first saw the item on the Planning Commission agenda, I was excited.  Ashai has done some good work on the hill, with much of their work featured on this site.  But alas, this weekend I saw that this is not their finest work - in fact, quite the opposite.  I know and recognize this is still under construction, but so far, hard for me to see what could change that would redeem this home.  The architectural crime - aka the new home - is below:

 (Source: NJC)

(Source: NJC)

Where to even begin.  First, the color - mustard? Really? From the high res images, it looks like mustard colored stucco.  What about the window trim and the trim that demarcates the second floor? Too much.  And yes - I know the white elephant in the room - the "stone" tower.  The "stone" doesn't even look real - almost likes stone patterned wallpaper.  And how about the shape of the home? Very blockish and uninspired.

New home:
 (Source: Google Maps)

Original home:
(Source: MLS)


The footprint is so boring - in fact, I think the original home that they tore down was more interesting - I mean, check out the offset tower that faced the pool!  In fact, I think I like the old home more than this new monstrocity going up.  Is there even much of a difference between this home and this McMansion?



You tell me!  Is the PVE Art Jury asleep at the wheel here?


KEY STATS
Location: Montemalaga, PVE
Style: Italian (ish)
Year built: 2011
Architect: Ashai
Square footage: Unknown (but big!)
Lot size: 30,100 (126x202)

4 comments:

jbock220 said...

Definitely uninspiring. The double arch windows in front take away from the strong symmetry this facade should have, MHO.

It'd be great to get more pics on this one.

Can you see they used a large majority of the original residence?

I think you might be being a little harsh with the comparison to the banana colored contractor designed, "I found these cool foam moldings", someone-might-call a Mediterranean, in the last pic.

Out of curiosity can I ask, what architectural magazines are you reading?

Oh and incidentally...
Growing up one of my best friends house was 5 houses down the street ('86-'88). I'll never forget out front of the house you picture would be these crazy exotic sports cars in giant Mack Truck haulers. Word was Lyle Alzado lived up the street.

Anonymous said...

I doubt the Art Jury is asleep, but you might be. This is the same house you featured in your Sunday 6-26-2011 blog and you stated that it is located in Burbank. Oooppps, a little more misinformation for the fire.

Homes of Palos Verdes said...

To Anonymous,

If you read the post (and look at the pictures), you'll notice that the last picture is absolutely in reference to the Burbank home you referred to - i.e. I was comparing this monstrocity to that one. Hope that clarifies things.

Homes of Palos Verdes said...

To jbock220

Thanks for the comment. I recall that they demo'd the house completely, but I could be mistaken. Often times it is much cheaper to tear down and rebuild from scratch than to save or significantly remodel a home. (You normally see the latter only when its a historic home or codes have changed and one is advantaged to "remodel" rather than to build new so you're under a less stringent building code).

I'll try to take more photos when I get a chance. In reference to mags I subscribe to, Architectural Digest, Florida Design, DuPoint Registry, and sometimes Veranda, House & Garden, etc.