Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A special treat today! Oh what a lucky day...

So I was perusing through some of the architects' websites to see if any new material has been posted and I stumbled upon one of the original PVE homes which I posted on earlier - in fact, it was my very first home post!

The Gard Residence. Recall my original post here - A trip down memory lane .  As a refresher, here's the home (one of my personal favs!)

(Source: Palos Verdes library)

 (Source: Palos Verdes library)


 (Source: Palos Verdes library)




As you'll recall from my earlier post, this home underwent a remodel in 1993 by the owners.  A detailed description of the remodel is contained in that post.  As luck and fate would have it, I came across the architect's website responsible for the remodel - none other than the Ed Beall.  Here are some shots of the newly remodeled home.  Beautiful!

 (Source: ECB & Associates)

(Source: ECB & Associates)


I'm generally not a fan when folks remodel historic homes but in this case, I think Beall did a fantastic job.  The rear facade (first image) looks seamless, including the new addition above the former terrace and the addition of the second floor walkway.  On the front facade (second image), subtle changes have been made including the arching of the windows on the first floor, north side, and the addition of a symmetric set of stairs on the right side of the image.  Other changes include the addition of two windows on the lower right, in place of the previous, large window and the addition of two windows on the second floor (including one on the rotunda).  According to several records I found online, the owners of the home bought the property in 1992 for $2.3M (cash, no mortgage!) then originally planned to spend $1.05M on the remodel.  When all was said and done, the owners spent approximately $2.7M on the remodel - over $5M invested into the home!  Money and time well spent in my opinion.  Kudos!


KEY STATS (REVISED!)
Location: Valmonte, PVE
Style: Spanish
Year built: 1927 / 1993
Architect: Kirtland Cutter / Ed Beall
Square footage: 13,041
Lot size: 1.3 acres

1 comment:

Yuri-Alex Niso said...

I love playing spot the difference! :) This IS an awesome remodel both architecturally and with the landscaping. Little tufts of plant bursting out of every corner--I love it!